Pids Nogales

I share my thoughts on Christ, Education and other Philippine issues

Name:

I love Christ, Math and Computers.

Friday, May 18, 2007

Parents as Teachers

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.” -Proverbs 22:6,

My wife and I enjoy teaching our sons. Even this summer vacation, we continue to teach them new things, both practical and academic lessons.

Last weekend, I taught my 9-year son Paul how to ride a bike. Now he can do it on his own. My wife is a bit nervous whenever Paul navigates our street. I gave him some exposure on how to ride a bike on a main road and gave him pointers on the safety and respect for pedestrians and other vehicles.

We also teach them how to do household chores. That should give them idea on family responsibility.

Everyday we also teach them advanced lessons in Math. I am teaching our 13-year old son Nathan matrix operations and proving in geometry. In return he would explain to me the concepts on Biology that he learned during the day. My wife teaches Paul English and Grade 5 Math during the day. Every night I would teach Paul Algebra and problem solving techniques. In return Paul would tell me his discoveries while playing computer games during the day.

We also urge them to read the Bible. This year our target is finish reading the whole Bible from Genesis to Revelation. We started with Genesis in January. Nathan is way ahead having finished the Book of Job last week. I am catching up having finished the Book of Esther last night. My wife is lagging behind and is still in I Kings (I think). Paul reads in his own pacing.

The Bible is the best source of life principles, godly attitudes and truths about God and life. It is more important than Math, Science and English. We teach our kids the Bible because we want them to make God their first priority.

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." Proverbs 9:10.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home